Work with Us
Smart City Works Internship Program 2021
Smart City Works is a nonprofit based on the DC metropolitan area with a mission to provide urban innovation education, training, and technical assistance to governments, organizations and communities seeking to develop strategies and programs to advance technology in support of urban challenges. We focus on improving livability, operations, and resilience of cities. Our unique emphasis on the built environment aims to dramatically change the way we design, build, and operate cities.
In 2019, Smart City Works was awarded a $1.5million Regional Innovation Strategy grant (“i6 Grant”) by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Economic Development Administration. The grant supports Smart City Works’ initiative to develop a Smart Region in Northern Virginia and create a sustainable innovation cluster. And in 2021, we were awarded a new $1.2 million grant to further support the Northern Virginia Smart Region Initiative. With the new Go Northern Virginia grant, Smart City Works will fill a much-needed gap supporting high-growth, technology start-ups and SMEs in Northern Virginia; accelerating their growth; and creating commercialization pathways to spur sustained near- and long-term economic development.
We believe in big ideas, hard work, creativity, initiative and a roll-up-your-sleeves mentality. Working closely with the Executive Director and principals of the Board of Directors, your main job will be to assist in nonprofit operations, grant administration, and business development planning.
Specific duties include (but are not limited to):
- Support the Executive Director in establishing and maintaining regular business operations
- Helping to develop, maintain, and execute strategic communications
- Support the development of the organizational website, and social media strategy
- Executing research for new business development
- Participating in meetings, workshops, pitch sessions, conferences related to the implementation of the Annual Smart City Challenge.
- Coordinating cohort companies, classroom activities, meetings and events and other activities as directed
- Currently pursuing a Graduate degree, or recently completed graduate work in business, urban planning, and/or nonprofit management or a related field
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and WordPress
- Skills in use of social media is a strong plus,
- Strong attention to details
- Experience conducting research
- Interested in market intelligence;
- Very task-oriented and a self-starter
- Excellent critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sense of humor, passion for making a difference in the world, and love of adventure a must
This is an unpaid internship at this time. Based on mutual interest and availability there is the possibility of this position moving to a full-time paid position.
Start Date and Internship Period
The internship would start as soon as you are available for a period commencing ASAP through June2022, with an option to extend as mutually agreed.
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (on a “smart cities” topic)
- Optional: portfolio of graphic presentations
Send application to email@example.com. Please write “INTERNSHIP 2021’ in the subject
Post Date: August 2021
Start Date: ASAP