Work with Us
Program Coordinator – GOVA
The Smart City Works Innovation Hub, a 501c3 organization that empowers communities to solve urban challenges and improve economic growth through technology innovation, is looking for a highly motivated Program Coordinator (PC) to support programming that empowers communities to solve urban challenges and enhance economic growth, through technology innovation related to our Northern Virginia Smart Region Initiative. The Smart Region Initiative is funded in part by a Go Virginia grant. The position is for highly effective implementers: both the Smart City Works and the Smart Region Initiative are young enterprises, with ample opportunity for thoughtful and detail-oriented individuals to be part of the growth of a new organization and implement a highly visible initiative with national importance.
Join with the nation’s leading Urban Tech Business Accelerator (Smart City Works’ Actuator) in one of the hottest startup markets and fastest growing ‘smart’ regions in the country (Northern Virginia and Greater Washington). You will be part of and help transform Northern Virginia and the greater Washington region into a global urban innovation hub and national test bed for new digital services and capabilities to improve the livability, sustainability, health, and resilience of cities and communities.
Our team includes senior executives from the tech sector, venture capital, the built world, and the public sector, joining together with a dedicated purpose of achieving excellence, improving quality of life, and making a difference on some of the most important issues facing cities and regions today.
Duties & Responsibilities
The PC will provide overall support to the Program Director of the GOVA Northern Virginia Smart Region Initiative.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Support the implementation of the grant’s goals and activities in a timely manner.
- Support the development of testbeds and related pilot projects and innovation challenges.
- Assist in administering and coordinating the expanded business acceleration program, including sourcing ventures, developing curriculum and facilitating the delivery of training sessions.
- Provide program budget tracking and updated timelines.
- Track and measure impact goals and metrics.
- Draft quarterly reports due to GOVA.
Provide operational and research support as requested.
Successful candidates will be motivated by mission and energized by delivering great programs. He or she will know how to work collaboratively and independently to deliver high value, impactful programs. He or she understands the demands of an operational role, is mindful of details and eager to build and work with a great team. Top candidates are self-motivated, problem-solvers, high-achieving, results-oriented, and passionate about making a difference. They can thrive in a dynamic, startup environment, and by helping others succeed. Wit (or appreciation thereof), humor, and creativity are a must.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent industry experience.
- 3-5 years cumulative experience in related fields; non-profit management experience preferred.
- Two or more years of direct experience developing training programs, building, or training startup companies, and/or working in incubators or commercialization programs.
- Successful track record of project management, budget tracking and on-time delivery.
- Exceptional organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Talent in researching all topics; synthesizing key points; and writing clear prose.
- Ability to think creatively, work in a casual, exciting, and dynamic global team environment.
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction but high expectations of performance
- High attention to detail to track and account for many moving parts, to include schedules, resources, people, and activities, and ensure all are on track and properly accounted for.
- People love working with you.
- Knowledge in a ‘smart city’ vertical.
- Expertise in business management and/or nonprofit administration.
- Knowledge of and relationships with municipal leaders in the Greater Washington region.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Qualified applicants should send letters of interest, CVs and/ or LinkedIn profiles to: email@example.com
About Smart City Works
Smart City Works INNOVATION HUB is a non-profit organization that empowers communities to solve urban challenges and improve economic growth, through technology innovation. The INNOVATION HUB provides governments, organizations, and communities, technology innovation programs to harness the power of digital technology and create smarter, safer, more sustainable, and resilient communities. We have built a reputation as a leader in the emerging Northern Virginia and Greater Washington ecosystem of businesses, universities, and local governments investing in and facilitating the growth of smart city technologies. Smart City Works was founded on the belief that cities and communities can build smarter and live better!
Cities are at an inflection point. Rapid urbanization, failing infrastructure, and climate change are putting tremendous stress on our urban communities. At the same time, digitization, advances in material science, AI, and cloud, offer an incredible opportunity to disrupt the way we design, build and operate cities.
Today, we now can—and must—improve the livability, performance, and resilience of cities. That is our goal. That is our purpose and our mission: build smarter, live better.
Smart City Works, INNOVATION HUB is affiliated with the Smart City Works Business ACTUATOR, a next generation business accelerator that can more rapidly move early-stage ventures to commercialization, help speed products to market, and reduce investor risk. The Actuator focuses on companies deeply aligned with the Smart City Works’ mission, seeking to solve urban challenges through development of urbantech and IoT devices that improve the built environment and urban quality of life.
Location: McLean, VA
Post Date: August 2021
Start Date: ASAP
Position: Full Time
Smart City Works Internship Program 2021
Smart City Works is a nonprofit based on the DC metropolitan area with a mission to provide urban innovation education, training, and technical assistance to governments, organizations and communities seeking to develop strategies and programs to advance technology in support of urban challenges. We focus on improving livability, operations, and resilience of cities. Our unique emphasis on the built environment aims to dramatically change the way we design, build, and operate cities.
In 2019, Smart City Works was awarded a $1.5million Regional Innovation Strategy grant (“i6 Grant”) by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Economic Development Administration. The grant supports Smart City Works’ initiative to develop a Smart Region in Northern Virginia and create a sustainable innovation cluster. And in 2021, we were awarded a new $1.2 million grant to further support the Northern Virginia Smart Region Initiative. With the new Go Northern Virginia grant, Smart City Works will fill a much-needed gap supporting high-growth, technology start-ups and SMEs in Northern Virginia; accelerating their growth; and creating commercialization pathways to spur sustained near- and long-term economic development.
We believe in big ideas, hard work, creativity, initiative and a roll-up-your-sleeves mentality. Working closely with the Executive Director and principals of the Board of Directors, your main job will be to assist in nonprofit operations, grant administration, and business development planning.
Specific duties include (but are not limited to):
- Support the Executive Director in establishing and maintaining regular business operations
- Helping to develop, maintain, and execute strategic communications
- Support the development of the organizational website, and social media strategy
- Executing research for new business development
- Participating in meetings, workshops, pitch sessions, conferences related to the implementation of the Annual Smart City Challenge.
- Coordinating cohort companies, classroom activities, meetings and events and other activities as directed
- Currently pursuing a Graduate degree, or recently completed graduate work in business, urban planning, and/or nonprofit management or a related field
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and WordPress
- Skills in use of social media is a strong plus,
- Strong attention to details
- Experience conducting research
- Interested in market intelligence;
- Very task-oriented and a self-starter
- Excellent critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sense of humor, passion for making a difference in the world, and love of adventure a must
This is an unpaid internship at this time. Based on mutual interest and availability there is the possibility of this position moving to a full-time paid position.
Start Date and Internship Period
The internship would start as soon as you are available for a period commencing ASAP through June2022, with an option to extend as mutually agreed.
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (on a “smart cities” topic)
- Optional: portfolio of graphic presentations
Send application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “INTERNSHIP 2021’ in the subject
Post Date: August 2021
Start Date: ASAP